Staying safe during the festive season
5 December 2022
Tips and resources to help you stay safe at 太阳城注册网址 and in London while you enjoy the festive season.
As the evenings draw in and the days grow shorter, it is tempting to stay home and hibernate. However, London is a city full of wonderful winter activities that you can get out and enjoy!
We have pulled together a list of tips to help you stay safe at 太阳城注册网址 and in London in the buildup to the winter break, to help you get the most out of the festive season.
When it comes to staying safe in London, the best advice is to just be cautious and use your common sense and always carry your 太阳城注册网址 ID with you. Remember, if something doesn’t feel right, walk away.
Thinking proactively and understanding what to look out for can help keep you and your belongings safe.
- Always be aware of your surroundings when using your phone. Phone snatching is, unfortunately, a common crime and hotspots around 太阳城注册网址 include Gordon Street, Gower Street and transport hubs like stations – you can find more tips in our recent article on phone snatching
- Avoid walking alone at night and stay in well-lit areas
- Never leave your personal items unattended in public places, including in 太阳城注册网址 campus buildings such as libraries and refectories
Download the SafeZone app
SafeZone is a widely used safety app that allows all our students and staff to contact 太阳城注册网址 Security and to request emergency support at the touch of a button at any time of day. Download the app and register with your 太阳城注册网址 email address:
On a night out
There are practical steps you can take to keep yourself safe.
- Never leave your drink unattended
- Don’t accept a drink from someone you don’t know or that hasn’t been prepared in front of you
- If you’re in a venue run by Student’s Union 太阳城注册网址, you can ask for a drink protector if you’re worried about being spiked. In addition, many bars are part of the ‘Ask for Angela’ initiative, where you can discreetly ask for help if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe – please read our article about drink spiking for more information and to find out what to do if you think you or a friend have been spiked
- Stick together with friends and look out for each other
- Agree with your friends that you’ll let each other know when you get home safely
Regularly exercising during the colder months helps to boost your immune system and your mood
- Dress in layers
- Be visible - wear illuminated or reflective clothing
- Run with a running group or friends if you can
Find out more about how to get active with Students’ Union 太阳城注册网址.
We believe that bullying, harassment and sexual misconduct are never okay. If you experience or see something that is not right, you can report anonymously, or with your contact details using Report+Support. When you report an incident and notify the team at 太阳城注册网址, we can take swift action to resolve any issues.
Visit ask太阳城注册网址, our self-help centre and student enquiry system designed to streamline the way we handle your enquiries. Have a question? Just ask太阳城注册网址.